Copy configuration and settings from one company to another in Prod

• Copy configuration and settings from one company to another in Prod

Posted by Julie Husted on April 3, 2018 at 10:14 am
    • Julie Husted

April 3, 2018 at 10:14 AM

?We are running AX 2012 R2 CU1.

Is there a way to copy all configuration and settings (journal names, payment methods, account structures, allocation journals, etc.) from an existing company to a new company in production?

Thanks,

——————————
      Julie Husted
      Senior Financial Applications Administrator
      ALAS, Inc.
      Chicago IL
      ——————————

• Shirley Adams

April 5, 2018 at 9:10 AM

Hi there,

There is really no way to copy JUST setup information, unfortunately.  We have clients that have hundreds of entities and ended up building a tool to copy setups.  If this is just GL or core finance, I would recommend doing it manually (open two windows and go menu-by-menu).  It’ll be faster than trying to identify every table and data entity that needs to be copied.  If it’s more modules, you might want to do a hybrid approach – some manual and some imported.  The only exception would be if you anticipate having to do this multiple times – then I would take the time to identify all the applicable data entities and use the data import/export.

It’s a little cumbersome to do the manual setup, but will likely go fairly quickly.

Shirley

——————————
      Shirley Adams
      AKA Enterprise Solutions
      New York NY
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Madison Murphy

April 6, 2018 at 8:38 AM

I run into this issue of setting up new items in the item master. 
      Where would I find out more information on using the import/export function?

——————————
      Madison Murphy
      Reily Foods
      Boston MA
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Mike Cryer

April 6, 2018 at 8:40 AM

?Julie,

The Data Export/Import function gives you that functionality.
      System Administration > Common > Definition Group

Here is a quick link to that:
      Export data to another instance of Microsoft Dynamics AX [AX 2012]

Microsoft remove preview
      Export data to another instance of Microsoft Dynamics AX [AX 2012]
      You can use the export operation in Microsoft Dynamics AX to export a subset of data from a single company. You can then import the data to another company. This company can be in the same partition, in a different partition, or in a partition in another instance of Microsoft Dynamics AX.
      View this on Microsoft >

I think you will like it.

Best regards… Mike

——————————
      Mike Cryer
      Senior Business Systems Analyst
      Edgewater Fullscope
      Winter Garden FL
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Jaffer Hussain

April 4, 2018 at 7:31 AM

This type of data transfer can be accomplished using one of the native data copying tools in the system, however it requires knowledge of how to take apart the schema from the backend. Some configuration data in AX is stored at the enterprise level (not specific to a legal entity) and other data is at company level.

——————————
      Jaffer Hussain
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

Julie Husted replied 6 years ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.

The discussion ‘Copy configuration and settings from one company to another in Prod’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!