AX 2009 – Screen Resolution issues

• AX 2009 – Screen Resolution issues

Posted by Bobby Small on August 28, 2017 at 11:41 am
    • Bobby Small

August 28, 2017 at 11:41 AM

We are currently using  a terminal server environment for our Sales Force to access AX. With the varying LAPTOP/TABLET screen sizes and resolutions, we are struggling to keep a user friendly experience for active forms. They will often have to scroll, adjust split forms, look for buttons hidden off screen, etc. 

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions to create a more responsive session in AX? We are in the process of identifying all forms that are affected to dig into each one separately. 

We are using:

• Dynamics AX 2009 SP1
      • Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard

Thanks

——————————
      Bobby Small
      Vice President of IS
      AXUG CO Chapter leader
      Ouray Sportswear, LLC
      Littleton CO
      bobbys@ouraysportswear.com
      ——————————

• Sean Blais

August 28, 2017 at 1:30 PM

I’ve experienced this going from client to laptop to overhead/smart boards if that helps your sanity, I however don’t have a fix. 

Sorry Bobby,
      Sean

——————————
      Sean Blais
      Operations Support
      Sutphen Corporation
      Dublin OH
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Tony Zeigler

August 29, 2017 at 10:15 AM

?As part of this issue is related to the remote desktop client remembering the resolution of the screen from when they were on a desktop, a quick solution may be to publish two clients.

One labeled AX for Desktops, and one labeled AX for tablets. Users would then click the one to match the screen size they are using.

You wouldn’t need any actual config difference – just the users using one primarily for each screen size so they avoid logging into one that has remembered a different resolution…

——————————
      Tony Zeigler
      Strategic Solutions NW, LLC
      Beaverton OR
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Richard Wehmeyer

August 30, 2017 at 4:57 PM

Unfortunately because you are dealing with RDP the session will ALWAYS be at the resolution of the device accessing it.

The best solution we have come up with is to set the resolution of all connecting devices as closely as possible.  This means losing some precision of high resolution devices like desktops.  For Surface users this has made working in AX more friendly for those who have trouble with small text.

Something you may try is to turn on the Windows Themes service on your terminal server which will allow scaling of applications.  Whether AX will react to this I could not say and would likely impact TS performance.

——————————
      Richard Wehmeyer
      PlayCore
      Chattanooga TN
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Gary Stoll

August 31, 2017 at 2:07 PM

I agree with Richard, this is a fundamental problem with using RDP – you can’t independently control the resolution of the RDP window (or RemoteApp if you are using that). And unfortunately the AX client offers no ability control control font size/resolution/etc. I have beat my head bloody trying to find a creative way around this. Given that there are so many different physical screen sizes that users work on – from laptops to external monitors to tablets, the only solution is to set the Windows display resolution so that AX is usable on that physical size of monitor. This is what we do for our remote reps. You can show them how to change the resolution back to the native resolution when they are not using AX – but most of our users don’t want to mess with that.

——————————
      Gary Stoll
      Anchor Industries
      Evansville IN
      Campbell, CA
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

Bobby Small replied 6 years, 8 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.

The discussion ‘AX 2009 – Screen Resolution issues’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!