windows ce and NAV web client

• windows ce and NAV web client

Posted by DSC Communities on January 25, 2017 at 7:00 am
    • John Ondercin

January 25, 2017 at 7:00 AM

Has anyone successfully connected a mobile device via the web client to nav. I know I can use RDP but I don’t want to.
      We’ve got several RFID mobile readers that have windows ce on them and it would be great to use NAV Web client instead of builds applications and webservices.

Thanks

——————————
      John Ondercin
      Senior Developer
      Unilock Ltd
      Georgetown ON
      ——————————

• Ben Baxter

January 25, 2017 at 8:32 AM

Are you able to connect to your database using the web client on a laptop/desktop using the wifi?  If so, your mobile device’s browser should also be able to connect, assuming it is on the wifi.  If the handheld is used outside your wifi network, you would need to open a port for outside connections.  Again, test on a standard computer browser outside your network.  The web client doesn’t care what type of machine the browser is running on.

If you are looking to use the handheld through a handheld specific client, check out Insight Works.  Although I think their product uses the Windows Mobile operating system.  It is also for barcode scanning rather than RFID, but they may have worked with that as well.  Lastly, it is for internal wifi access connectivity.

Best Regards,

——————————
      Ben Baxter
      Consultant
      Accent Software, Inc.
      Carmel IN
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• John Ondercin

January 25, 2017 at 8:47 AM

Yes everything works fine using the Web Client on desktops, and iPhones… Just not for Windows CE
      We get an error that “Our Browser does not meet the minimum requirements for accessing Microsoft Dynamics NAV”

——————————
      John Ondercin
      Senior Developer
      Unilock Ltd
      Georgetown ON
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Alex Chow

January 25, 2017 at 11:36 AM

It doesn’t look like it’s supported:
      https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd301054(v=nav.90).aspx#NavApps

——————————
      Alex Chow
      Dynamics NAV MVP
      AP Commerce
      Los Angeles CA
      Blog: http://www.dynamicsnavconsultant.com
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Ben Baxter

January 26, 2017 at 7:59 AM

Are you able to download updated browser applications to the Windows CE device?

——————————
      Ben Baxter
      Consultant
      Accent Software, Inc.
      Carmel IN
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• John Ondercin

January 26, 2017 at 11:19 AM

No updates available..
      So my suggestion to everyone is to avoid devices running CE

——————————
      John Ondercin
      Senior Developer
      Unilock Ltd
      Georgetown ON
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Ben Baxter

January 27, 2017 at 8:43 AM

That is an unfortunate discovery about devices running CE.  Are you able to update the device to Windows Mobile?

——————————
      Ben Baxter
      Consultant
      Accent Software, Inc.
      Carmel IN
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Patrick Hulst

January 30, 2017 at 7:05 AM

We’re (unfortunately) in the same spot.  We’ve got ~2000 Intermec Ck3 devices deployed to our stores and they’re all CE6.0.  Try as I might the power of “but we already have an application written that works for the legacy software” is a larger pull than moving to new technology. 

We have a semi-working prototype of a javascript page interfacing with the NAV webclient for the legacy devices.  I can see this being our stopgap.  Replacing 2000 devices is not cheap.  Currently these devices are running a custom app 100% batch mode which serves a purpose as well.  

FYI the lifecycle dates are searchable here:
      https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/lifecycle/search

Microsoft remove preview
      Try Microsoft Edge, a fast and secure browser that’s designed for Windows 10 Get started
      View this on Microsoft >

——————————
      Patrick Hulst
      Retail Applications Projects Manager
      Home Hardware Stores Limited
      St Jacobs ON
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Anthony Darden

January 27, 2017 at 8:48 AM

Insight Works does support Windows Mobile and we use that for all our Intermec CK71 handhelds for WMS, but I am not sure about Windows CE.  I have had numerous failed attempts at application deployment and Windows CE and in my opinion, I just don’t see a future with anything CE-related.  My only concern with browser-based applications in our WMS environment is connectivity drops and preserving all the data and allowing continued work until the connection is restored.

——————————
      Anthony Darden
      Director of IT
      Protective Industries, Inc.
      Buffalo NY
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Anthony Darden

January 27, 2017 at 10:05 AM

The proper platform for mobile development is Windows 10 apps or the continuum environment.  Here is a link that provides some background:  Windows 10 SDK – Windows app development

Here is another link that discusses this more:  Windows Continuum for Windows 10 Phones & Mobile | Microsoft

——————————
      Anthony Darden
      Director of IT
      Protective Industries, Inc.
      Buffalo NY
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

DSC Communities replied 7 years, 3 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.

The discussion ‘windows ce and NAV web client’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!