Quality Control

• Quality Control

Posted by Kim Dallefeld, MVP on April 3, 2020 at 3:45 pm
    • Kim Dallefeld

April 3, 2020 at 3:45 PM

Just curious, the last posts that I saw about Quality Control solutions are from years ago.

What are you using today for your Quality Control solution?

——————————
      Kim Dallefeld, Kim@Dallefeld.com, Ft Worth, TX
      Dallefeld Consulting, LLC
      Member of Dynamics Consulting Group

New View Strategies, – training and consulting.

NAVUG All-Star
      NAVUG Programming Committee
      ——————————

• Jason Nicolaou

April 6, 2020 at 7:12 AM

QC is a complex topic.  The food industry’s needs are very different from manufacturing.  Many times we see third party, independent tools that need connected to BC.  The open API’s and BC’s connectivity are making that much easier.  The manufacturing side has several options on AppSource and there is some partner IP out there as well.

——————————
      Jason Nicolaou
      Engagement Manager
      Sikich, LLP
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Kim Peterson

April 6, 2020 at 8:18 AM

The only product I’m aware of is Quality Essentials that does quality control.

——————————
      Kim Peterson
      Founder
      Dynamics Connections
      Battle Lake MN
      Kim@DynamicsConnections.com
      701-261-7307
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Ben Baxter

April 6, 2020 at 8:26 AM

Cost Control has their Quality Control product available on AppSource or as an extension for On-Premise.  As Jason said, it is more for Manufacturing than food, but people should evaluate it based on their needs.

——————————
      Ben Baxter
      Consultant
      Accent Software, Inc.
      carmel IN
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Kevin Fons

April 6, 2020 at 9:06 AM

Insight Works has a decent quality testing / inspection product as part of their shop floor product

——————————
      Kevin Fons
      Senior Application Consultant
      Innovia Consulting
      Windsor WI
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Wade Ayoubi

April 8, 2020 at 9:07 PM

Hi Kevin, 

I agree with Insight Works. instead of spending money for a bolt on that specializes in Quality Audits, I would go with an application that has these features consolidated into one, and in this case Insight Works will work well.

Also, having one consolidated application will reduce cost when it comes down to maintaining them. 

?

——————————
      Wade Ayoubi
      Larocca Creative Cakes
      ON
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Sara Silver

April 6, 2020 at 6:27 PM

Silverware Quality Control is available on Appsource.    It is very flexible and is used in a variety of industries.   I’d love to talk to anyone about their specific needs!

—–
      Sara Silver
      Silverware, Inc.
      sara@silverw.com 
      480-423-8324

——————————
      ——————————————-

• Kim Dallefeld

April 6, 2020 at 6:36 PM

Sara can it be used with 2017?

——Original Message——

Silverware Quality Control is available on Appsource.    It is very flexible and is used in a variety of industries.   I’d love to talk to anyone about their specific needs!

—–
      Sara Silver
      Silverware, Inc.
      sara@silverw.com 
      480-423-8324

——————————
      ——————————————-

• Sara Silver

April 7, 2020 at 11:39 AM

Kim – sorry for the delay but I wanted to check it out.   It is available for NAV 2018 but all newer features are in BC.  The events we use in 2018 are not available in 2017 so it would be a lot of work to retrofit it to 2017.  Call me if you’d like to talk about it…

——————————
      Sara Silver
      Silverware, Inc.
      sara@silverw.com
      480-423-8324
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Jeanmarie Curley

April 8, 2020 at 8:45 AM

We use an ISV used Cost Control. We are in the process of implementing it now in conjunction with NAV2018. It is very cost effective and has what is needed to track QC on a lot specific level. The only functionality missing that we wish it had is for the QC status to have functionality to block lots that are not released from being added to pick lists. But from reading some other blog comments, I believe the customization around this is not difficult. Someone indicated you can add a check box to one of the tables (I am guessing item lot ?) to show the item is released and change the code for allocating material to look at this first and disregard anything that is not checked. (Much like it does when looking at expiration dates for FEFO and does not select anything past its date)

——————————
      Jeanmarie curley
      quality biological
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Ben Baxter

April 8, 2020 at 9:12 AM

Jeanmarie,

Some clients create a Quality location.  All QC checked Items have to flow through that location prior to hitting the usable inventory locations.  This creates some additional administration processing, with Transfer Orders and such, but it also keeps non-QC’d items out of usable inventory without modification to the system.

That being said, I like the idea of a flag on the Item Ledger Entry for QC Complete, and having the Certification process flag the item as usable without requiring an additional location or processing.  The downside is I would have to create my own views of the Quantities awaiting QC checks, but again just applying a few filters should do the trick.

——————————
      Ben Baxter
      Consultant
      Accent Software, Inc.
      carmel IN
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Jeanmarie Curley

April 8, 2020 at 9:20 AM

Hi Ben- we looked at this as an option, but the main thing that chose us not to follow this route was we wanted the system to consider the inventory on hold when running MRP for manufacturing- so we would basically need it to run MRP on the inventory in both locations at once (released and not released – regular inv and QC) We were told that this is not possible- so for now we are handling it by allocating lot numbers to  orders up front at the time of sales order until we can get to doing the customization
      Do you know of a way to run MRP on two locations simultaneously? I also should say because of our shipping software we are currently restricted to working from the source document (Basic warehousing) , but over time, we should be able to move to warehouse documents or inventory picks- so I would be interested if you know of a solution.
      Thank you
      JM

——————————
      Jeanmarie curley
      quality biological
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Ben Baxter

April 8, 2020 at 9:34 AM

The Planning Worksheet can be run across multiple locations.  The key is the SKU (Stock Keeping Units) you create for the Item.  Below is an example.

Item A – SKU Location: Main
      Replenishment = Transfer from QC
      Reorder Policy = Order

Item A – SKU Location: QC
      Replenishment = Prod. Order
      Reorder Policy = Lot-for-Lot

When I get a Sale for Main, the order policy is creating an equal demand on the QC location, which will also create a reservation.

I can treat the QC replenishment how I would the normal inventory, either grouped or individual.

If I get a Sales of 100 units from Main, the Planning Worksheet would suggest both a Transfer Order for 100 units from QC to Main, and a Prod. Order for 100 units in the QC location.  When I complete the 100 Units in QC, I run my test, and after certification process the existing Transfer Order to move the inventory to the Main location.

The nice part about this is the separation and visibility (Item Availability by Location) of where the inventory is.

All that being said, you may have other add-on products that don’t work well with this scenario.  Your partner should be able to best guide you through your specific scenario.

——————————
      Ben Baxter
      Consultant
      Accent Software, Inc.
      carmel IN
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Jeanmarie Curley

April 8, 2020 at 9:40 AM

Thanks Ben- do you know if to use SKU you need to be using warehouse documents? Or can you still process from the source document (specifically in the case of shipping from a sales order) 
      I think once our shipping ISV can handle working with Inventory picks and warehouse picks, we can then implement SKU and this QC location. 

Thanks again
      JM

——————————
      Jeanmarie curley
      quality biological
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Ben Baxter

April 8, 2020 at 9:58 AM

There are no warehousing requirements to use SKUs.  As long as you have multiple Locations, you can use SKUs.  To that point, if you go with the QC location (and its not an actual separate location), you generally want to keep the warehouse requirements off to minimize processing time.

——————————
      Ben Baxter
      Consultant
      Accent Software, Inc.
      carmel IN
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Jason Nicolaou

April 9, 2020 at 7:18 AM

Great conversation here.  Jeanmarie are you using advanced warehouse with bins?  If yes, then the bin type QC can be created so that warehouse functions don’t look at that bins as an option.  Second question, when you say locations does that mean separate warehouses under the same company in BC or multiple companies in BC with warehouses?  As Ben said multiple locations is not an issue and complexity increases if you need to look across BC companies.  ?

——————————
      Jason Nicolaou
      Engagement Manager
      Sikich, LLP
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Lewis Rosenberg

April 9, 2020 at 8:43 AM

If you use Lot No. Information Cards, you can block lots from picks.

Lot No. Information

Lot Tracking

???

——————————
      Lewis Rosenberg
      IT Manager
      Mars Fishcare
      Chalfont PA
      http://www.apifishcare.com
      ————————————————————————
      BCUG/NAVUG All-Star
      BCUG/NAVUG Board of Advisors, Chairperson
      BCUG/NAVUG Programming Committee

Twitter: @RosenbergL
      LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/rosenbergl
      ————————————————————————

NAVUG/D365BC-User Group Focus
      May 18-19, 2019
      Denver, Colorado
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Jeanmarie Curley

April 9, 2020 at 9:25 AM

Hi Lewis- thank you for the suggestion. I think we tested the option of blocking the lot and I think we still had some hurdle to overcome although it escapes me at the moment. Maybe it was that the lot would still be allocated by FEFO and the error message would not be obtained until you went to post the shipment (which is too late, you have already done the work to pack it). Or it could have been that the inventory was not included in the MRP run, which would cause us to overproduce. We are using a shipping ISV that only works with source documents right now. They are working on adding functionality for inventory documents and warehouse documents. I think once we get that working on the shipping side, we will revisit the separate QC location (not warehouse) and implement stock keeping units. This way , we can use inventory picks and the system can allocate using FEFO, which would be great.

——————————
      Jeanmarie curley
      quality biological
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Nirav Shah

April 8, 2020 at 10:11 AM

Many good solutions mentioned here however, some are very industry specific as mentioned.  To-Increase has a nice well rounded Quality Management solution for make to order or make to stock manufacturing environments.  The solution is also available for NAV 2017.

——————————
      Nirav Shah
      Solution Architect
      To-Increase
      Advanced Jobs, Quality Management and Engineering Change Solutions
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

Kim Dallefeld, MVP replied 4 years, 1 month ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.

The discussion ‘Quality Control’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!