Printers locked to Printer Selections in Business Central

• Printers locked to Printer Selections in Business Central

Posted by Andrew Stiles on April 26, 2022 at 1:34 pm
    • Andrew Stiles

April 26, 2022 at 1:34 PM

Having a problem in our D365 Business Central, users (including super users) cannot print to different printers than what is specified in printer selections. Users can pick a different printer and hit print in business central report prompts, however the report still goes to printer that is specified in printer selections. We are using Insight Works PrintNode Connector as we have other Insight Works products, I have contacted them on this they say the problem is in Business Central. If users pick (Handled by Browser) they can select a different printer that their own computer has available, that is how we have been getting around this issue. 

This worked in our pre-production sandbox, so was a setting not copied over to production that allows users to override their printer selection default?

#D365BusinessCentral

?Thanks 

Andrew

——————————
      Andrew Stiles
      J&D Manufacturing
      Eau Claire WI
      ——————————

• Seetharaman AR

April 27, 2022 at 7:46 AM

Hello Andrew,

I guess you have made all the printer added in the Print Node setup ? 
      And when the user preview the document to print and he see other printers which is connected to BC?

Which document are you trying to print?

Are you getting any error message?

——————————
      Seetharaman AR
      Bond Consulting Services
      Long Beach
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

• Andrew Stiles

April 27, 2022 at 9:22 AM

Hello Seetharaman

Yes, the printers have been added to our print server that is connected to PrintNode and the connector is up and running and appears to be happy (no errors and prints are printing out to the printer PrintNode is told to send it to).

Including an example, take the Inventory Valuation Report (but this appears to all printing in Business Central for Us). My printer selection says to use “Def Printer” (made up name of printer for privacy reasons), when I go to the Printer Selection box on the Inventory Valuation Report Page, I can see my other printers (named Other Printer 1 .. 3 for privacy reasons). If I just leave my printer “Def Printer” and click Print, the report spits out normally on my default printer. However, if I choose “Other Printer 1” and click print, the report spits out on Def Printer. According to the PrintNode Log and the Print Server itself, they were told to use Def Printer.

If I pick “Handled by the browser” or Preview I can then choose Other Printer 1 (as it is also shared to my computer) at that point the report will go to Other Printer 1 as its printed by my PC and doesn’t get printed by BC.

Currently the only way I can print to Other Printer 1 by clicking “Print” (ignoring Handheld by browser or preview) in BC is to go to my printer selections first change my printer selection for this report, then come back to the report, Other Printer 1 will now be listed as default, and I can click Print. The report will spit out on Other Printer 1

I have checked the logs that I’m able to see PrintNode Says its being told to use “Def Printer” and is sending prints there. Its like whatever is selected in the Printer Selection Box (Other than Handheld by the browser) is ignored when the report is submitted to PrintNode. Prior to moving to our production environment, I could select any printer in the list and redirect reports to those printers without changing printer selections, so that is making me wonder what setting I missed to allow users (including Super User) to deviate from the Printer Selection, selected printers

One last thing to add, if I remove all my printer selections for my user (including the default that covers everyone), I am still not able to pick any printers from the Printer Selection Box, picking a printer and clicking Print, just causes my browser Chrome to download a pdf (also tested with Opera, Firefox, and Edge)

I have included a image of the Inventory Valuation Report prompt (poorly photo-shoped to hide printer and server names).

Thanks

Andrew

——————————
      Andrew Stiles
      J&D Manufacturing
      Eau Claire WI
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

Andrew Stiles replied 2 years ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.

The discussion ‘Printers locked to Printer Selections in Business Central’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!