Is a GP Migration to a BC instance hosted in docker possible??

• Is a GP Migration to a BC instance hosted in docker possible??

Posted by Jeff Woodard on September 20, 2023 at 7:43 pm

Hi There,

I’m trying to set up a local docker hosted dev/training environment and pull in data from a migrated GP company. Is it possible to run a GP migration to an on-prem docker instance? Looking at the Azure components involved I’m thinking I’ll have to spin up at least a trial cloud instance, but then I’m not sure how I would pull the cloud data back down to my docker environment. Any recommendations from the community on approaches for this?

Jeff Woodard replied 7 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Gino Pack

September 27, 2023 at 9:41 am
    Up
    Down
    ::

The Cloud Migration tool that can migrate data from GP –> BC SaaS relies on the Microsoft Azure Data Factory to organize the data before it is inserted into the BC SaaS environment. It is all connected via your Tenant ID. So there would be no way to directly send data from GP to a Docker container that I am aware of.

A work around would be to upload the data to a trial environment, and then pull a back up of that environment to a .bacpac file via the Business Central Admin Center, and import that .bacpac file into a docker container. There are several blogs out there that have demonstrated this. This method is NOT recommended by Microsoft as Docker is typically used for development, not end user testing.

My strongest recommendation is to have users test in a cloud environment. Unforeseen errors can occur in Docker that you would not be able to get support on, and the experience for your users may be different then them testing right in a Cloud Sandbox.

• Jeff Woodard

October 3, 2023 at 10:13 am
      Up
      Down
      ::

Thanks @gino.pack! Exactly what I was looking for. Mostly this will be for development for some pretty complex integrations that we want to start developing without committing to the online licensed environment.

The discussion ‘Is a GP Migration to a BC instance hosted in docker possible??’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!