How do you handle an environment for testing? (On-Prem)

• How do you handle an environment for testing? (On-Prem)

Posted by Chris Warren on February 13, 2024 at 7:31 pm

I’m curious as to how on-prem users are maintaining a development/testing environment. Do you have a separate BC Install on a server and copy the SQL database to the new server when you want to test something? Or do you just copy the company on the prod environment and test it there?

Historically, I’ve always maintained a separate BC server that matches our prod server, and just copy the DB to it when we need to test. But this can take a few hours… what’s considered best practice?

Lewis Rosenberg replied 2 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Lewis Rosenberg

February 13, 2024 at 8:20 pm
    Up
    Down
    ::

BC14 On Prem.

Our production and test environments share a Service Tier Server and a SQL server, but we have different SQL databases for both.

To refresh test, I use a RapidStart Configuration to export some setup tables from test that contain file export paths, etc., then a take a producion backup, restore it to the test SQL database and then import my setup files back to test using the configuration packages.

I have another business unit that I am supporting on NAV 2017. The have separate Service Tier and SQL server for production and test. We refresh test using the same process that I described above.

The discussion ‘How do you handle an environment for testing? (On-Prem)’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!