DYK: You can download the latest version of BC On-Prem to run locally?

• DYK: You can download the latest version of BC On-Prem to run locally?

Posted by Chris Warren on May 16, 2023 at 11:18 pm

One of the many things that I have learned from going to Summit over the last 5 years is that you can download the latest version of BC On-Prem and run it locally! No more FOMO for all of the SaaS installations out there.. you can test drive all of the new features yourself.

Installation Media: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=105113

If you have any problems, feel free to drop message below!

Greg Alford replied 12 months ago 6 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Andrew Stiles

May 17, 2023 at 8:35 am
    Up
    Down
    ::

Is there any licensing concerns running a test on prem environment for licensed SaaS users?

• Chris Warren

May 17, 2023 at 10:35 am
      Up
      Down

Nope! It’s going to run locally, so you have nothing to worry about. It will install a local copy of SQL Express and configure IIS for you to be able to access the web client, but it won’t impact anything SaaS related.

You can only have two users configured for the trial environment, though.

• Cliff McDaniel

May 17, 2023 at 9:00 am
    Up
    Down

Thank you for sharing this Chris.

• Lewis Rosenberg

May 17, 2023 at 9:21 am
    Up
    Down

This is a great tip, Chris. I have done this a few times to have the ability to demonstrate functionality at #mySummitNA using a newer version of BC/NAV than we currently run at our business. Of course, this local version uses the Cronus company demo license so there are some date and other limitations – https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics-nav/properties-of-the-demo-license

• Lewis Rosenberg

May 17, 2023 at 9:30 am
      Up
      Down

BTW, you can run multiple BC/NAV versions on your local machine (even if you are still using the Role Tailored Client). I currently have BC14, NAV 2017, and BC20 running on my laptop. BC14 and NAV2017 are on premise and for every day business (2 different companies in our organization) and BC20 is a Cronus database running locally for testing, demonstrations, and learning.

• Chris Warren

May 17, 2023 at 10:35 am
        Up
        Down

Great point! I’m also running BC 20, 21, and 22 now locally for training and testing purposes.

• Chris Warren

May 17, 2023 at 10:37 am
    Up
    Down

Something else to note is that the online trial of BC is missing some components (such as Service), where as this On-Prem version is fully featured.

• Greg Alford

May 17, 2023 at 10:53 am
    Up
    Down

Thanks Chris. Great tip.

The discussion ‘DYK: You can download the latest version of BC On-Prem to run locally?’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!