Deleting Users

• Deleting Users

Posted by Chris Warren on February 20, 2020 at 3:45 pm
    • Chris Warren

February 20, 2020 at 3:45 PM

I’ve been cleaning up the NAV system I just inherited and the previous IT person never removed ex-employees. What’s the best way to remove them from the system so they don’t appear in fields (specifically “Assigned User ID” under Purchase Quotes) – while still keeping audit history?

If I delete them out of User Setup, they are removed as a selection from “Assigned User ID” fields, but will that also remove audit history?

Thanks!

——————————
      Chris Warren
      Electrical Engineer/System Admin
      ivWatch LLC
      Newport News
      ——————————

• Kevin Berg

February 21, 2020 at 10:12 AM

I delete all users from the system after they leave instead of deactivating them. When I look in Sales Shipment Header table, I still see the User ID of past workers who left and are no longer a user in the NAV system. The reason I delete them instead of expiring them is due to Active Directory Windows Authentication. When I remove the user from AD, the user id would change to the SID from AD and I would have no idea who it was.

People warn of deleting users for some reason but to me it’s like washing colors and whites… People say you shouldn’t do it but I’ve been doing both mixed laundry and deleting users in NAV for years and the sun is still rising in the morning and bills are getting paid.

Anyway, it would be bad programming if removing a user would erase that user’s history. The past is the past and shouldn’t be concerned with the present. If you are a public company I am sure the ‘anxious’ types would say ‘You should never delete a user, just deactivate them’. I disagree. Why should I have to have my view littered with past users? Yes, I could filter the view on Active employees but I would rather not.

What tables are you worried about? Purch_Rcpt_Header and Sales Shipment Header (and similar tables) record and preserve the User ID eternally.

——————————
      Kevin Berg
      Philadelphia Scientific LLC
      Montgomeryville PA
      ——————————
      ——————————————-

Chris Warren replied 4 years, 2 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.

The discussion ‘Deleting Users’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!