Add parts and labor to a finished goods part

• Add parts and labor to a finished goods part

Posted by Blaine Pennypacker on October 25, 2023 at 10:58 am

Hi all: I’m trying to figure out the best way to add parts and labor to a finished goods part. Physically, we are pulling the FG part out of inventory, adding a couple parts to it and associated labor to do so, and putting it back in inventory. We want to keep the same part number throughout – it’s just an improvement. It seems to me that I should be able to use a Production Order to pull the current FG part out of inventory, add the two parts and the labor, then complete it back to the same part, but since there is already a BOM and routing for the FG part that includes all the parts that originally went into completing the FG part, I’m not sure how to do this. Any thoughts?

Chris Warren replied 6 months, 3 weeks ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Brad Prendergast

October 25, 2023 at 3:45 pm
    Up
    Down
    ::

An Assembly Order will allow you to produce an item with a component of itself. If you add a resource line it will be included in the cost of the assembled item.

• Tiffany Collums

October 25, 2023 at 10:21 pm
    Up
    Down

First, can I ask what is your costing method and how do you capture labor on a standard production order?

You can create a production order manually to call out the parent as a child, but you cannot create a BOM like that or you will get low level code issues. If you are standard cost, the variances incurred by adding additional parts and labor should go to your variance accounts defined in your posting setups once the production order status is changed to Finished and Adjust Cost-Item Entries is run. If you are specific, then you will not see any of the variances and it will report the actual cost by each item produced. However, if you are using any other costing method, it will really skew your unit cost and the history by doing this.

• Blaine Pennypacker

October 27, 2023 at 1:48 pm
      Up
      Down

Hi Tiffany, thanks! Costing is FIFO. We tried just entering the production order and then Line-Components and deleting everything but the item itself and the added parts. I haven’t finished it yet in case this causes issues.

• Chris Warren

October 30, 2023 at 5:18 pm
    Up
    Down

We ran into the same thing and tried using Assembly Orders as Brad mentioned, but it became very confusing for people to switch back and forth between Assembly and Production Orders, and knowing when to do so.

Ultimately, we transitioned to only using production orders, and creating separate part numbers during the manufacturing process. In our scenario, it’s not the final FG part number if you’re still actively working on it, so we have child part numbers that are used internally and only convert it to the FG Number when it’s 100% done.

This method really helped streamline our manufacturing process.

The discussion ‘Add parts and labor to a finished goods part’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Welcome to our new site!

Here you will find a wealth of information created for people  that are on a mission to redefine business models with cloud techinologies, AI, automation, low code / no code applications, data, security & more to compete in the Acceleration Economy!